There are three types of uses for K – 12 PLEs
2. Used in a specific class: The teacher designs or uses a pre-set design that allows students to develop a PLE for a specific topic, subject area or course. One example is shown on the home page of this blog.
3. Used across a system: PLE use in this case involves systemic change – a complete remodelling of the current system. There are a number of pilot schools or examples where this has taken place. They involve:
- A physical change: Common open areas and flexible schedules and groupings are created.
- A curricular change: Specific, content heavy curriculum needs to be replaced with curriculum that speaks to broader topics and over-riding goals that are more flexible for individual learner needs.
- A professional development change: Educators need to be supported in this movement.
Examples of Systemic Change: